Phase 2 of ESOS has officially started – Audits can be completed now!
According to a government report early submitters only paid half the amount compared to companies submitting on the deadline
ESOS Participant Qualification
As with phase 1, Organisations that are operating in the UK and meet the following criteria must comply:
- 250 or more employees (and/or)
- fewer than 250 employees but an annual turnover and balance sheet exceeding €50m and €43m respectively
ESOS Compliance Criteria
The criteria remains the same with all large UK organisations being required to complete the following steps before the compliance date of 5 December 2019:
- Measure total energy consumption for buildings, industrial processes and transport
- Identify areas of significant energy consumption (must make up more than 90% of total consumption)
- Conduct energy audits to identify cost-effective energy efficiency recommendations for areas of significant energy consumption
- Report compliance to the associated Environment Agency
To comply with the regulations, a Lead Energy Assessor (such as Carbon Architecture) will need to conduct the ESOS Assessment.
Deadlines for Compliance
Carbon Architecture recommend starting immediately to get maximum value from this round of compliance
- The compliance period requires 12 months of energy consumption data which includes the 31 December 2018
- Submission required by 5 December 2019 to the Environment Agency.
The Environment Agency recently reported they have commenced civil penalty proceedings against a number of non-compliant organisations for Phase 1 of ESOS. The civil penalties imposed will be published on .Gov.UK after the penalties have been issued and the applicable appeal times have lapsed.