In a dairy transfer losses can represent 30% to 60% of the total waste cost of the site. In this case, the total product loss to effluent was estimated at £2m per year or 2% based on site mass balance and corroborated with COD load.
What we did
Map the process
- Identify the main transfer losses drainage points
- Set up a methodology to measure the COD load equivalent of all transfer losses listed in order to quantify the current state.
- 61 objects from 4 areas tested with 8 samples per item over two months
- £1.5m of transfer losses quantified.
- Prioritise losses by value, investigate the cause and correct the issue
- 300+ settings changes implemented
- Daily/Weekly Management Process established
- KPI identified and monitored
- SOP and training procedures updated
- Sustained reduction and saving
- £1.1m/year savings delivered